Sunday, July 6, 2008

Be the light

We laid Dad's earthly body to rest yesterday. It was an amazing service. Brenda had a message of hope and salvation for all of us. I could feel Christ there in the room and He was smiling. What a tribute it was to see all the people that had come to say 'goodbye'. My only hope is that some of them may have gotten it yesterday and realized that this is just a temporary home and that Dad is now in Heaven dining with Jesus and dancing with his wife Helen.

God is truly amazing. He has surrounded Paul and myself with so many good people that getting through this was smooth sailing. I'm still blown away by the love that surrounds us. I've not ever had the type of network of friends before. Some days it is very overwhelming. This is God's plan. We're not suppose to be alone. We're suppose to have an abundance of friends and family around us, but the world doesn't see that. The world wants us to concentrate on ourselves and everything is about me. What a lonely place that is - trust me I know, because I've been there. It hurts me deeply knowing there are so many lonely, hurting people out there that need the love of the Lord in their life. Commit to Him and EVERYTHING changes. Commit to Him and NOTHING remains the same.

Now there is a small caveat to that and that is that you do have to do something. You must live your life for Him. You must turn your back on the old life. Not the people, just the sin and that my friends can be very difficult. We live in a world that says we deserve a better life and that we don't have to work hard to get it. I'm saying yes we can have the best life, but we have to work at it. The Lord God our Father doesn't promise us a life without sorry, but He does offer us everlasting life of salvation. Knowing that God is by your side brings a peace that you won't believe. You need to trust Him. You need to allow Him control of your life. This goes against everything that surrounds us in the world.

I have to be different if I'm going to make a difference. I have to live a life that others want. I need to show people what it is like to be a Christ follower. God's word says in Matthew 5 14-16

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither
do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its
stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let
your
light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and
praise
your Father
in heaven.


This tells us what we need to do. A light on a hill, or a light anywhere attracts attention, it draws you in when things are dark. Even the smallest candle light in a dark place with let off a light that can been seen over great distances. So no matter what happens I need to let the light of the Lord shine. I just need to be me, surrender control of my life to Jesus and allow myself to shine.

No comments: