Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Back to School


Today is the first day of a new school year and it’s causing me to think about where I’ve come since I was in school. I graduated from high school in 1985. I was full of energy, life and rebellion. I was going to do anything, but get married and have children. Okay I did want to get married, but the children were not going to happen. I wasn’t going to have children, who needed that kind of responsibility. Life was full of opportunities and the best thing was that school was over.
Many years later I found myself finishing up from real estate school and I was ready to set the Akron real estate market on fire. I was going to make a ton of money, work from home and take care of my baby daughter. The best thing was that I wouldn’t have to go back to school, I was done with that.
Now here I sit over 25 years after graduating high school, but this time I’m thinking of not the end of school, but the beginning. My how my life has changed. I’ve got two children, I’m a homeschooling, stay-at-home mom and I’m loving it. Today isn’t just the first day of kindergarten for my son or the first day of 7th grade for my daughter, today is the first day of school for me too and I’m excited.
Since graduating high school I’ve discovered I like to learn. So I really love school. I love the opportunity to watch my kids learn. I love to see the light bulb come on when they grasp a new concept. I love sharing little bits of knowledge that they don’t get from text books. I love all things about learning. I’ve learnt that we learn more outside of school then in and if we stop learning, stop growing we slowly die.
God made us to learn. We learn from our mistakes. We learn from taking chances. We learn from experience, ours and those around us. We learn when we take the time to question. We learn when we stop, look and listen to the world around us. I’m so excited to see what I’m going to learn this year in school. What are you going get out of the new school year? Are you excited to learn something new today or are you content to sit back and slowly dry up and evaporate like a sponge in the hot sun.

No comments: