Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hope

The definition of hope is to believe, desire, or trust. Hope is that intangible feeling in our inner most being that it’s going to be okay. Hope doesn’t have to be reasonable, it doesn’t even have to be probable. In fact most of the time hope is what keeps us going in hopeless situations.

My very first experience with hope was the first time I really thought about suicide. I thought it would be easier if I just died, but something stopped me. Something very, very deep in my heart told me that life would be okay and that someone, somewhere loved me. I didn’t know it yet, but God was whispering words of love and encouragement - words of hope.

When life becomes hopeless and filled with darkness we need to turn on the light. God promises that darkness can’t exist where His light is.

Jesus once again addressed them: “I am the world’s Light. No one who follows me stumbles around in the darkness. I provide plenty of light to live in.” John 8:12 (The Message)

We need to stop and look towards the only thing that can change things, Jesus Christ. We need to stop the voices that surround us and bombard us with hopelessness. We need to make the mental shift from the dark place, to a place of hope and light.

Recently I’ve had many opportunities to wallow in the dark pit of hopelessness and despair. The darkness was so heavy and oppressive and the voices were so loud. All I could hear was ‘I’m not good enough’, ‘It’s all your fault', ‘What’s the point in trying, you can’t do anything, you can’t make a difference’.

Then in the corner of the darkness was a small tiny light. The more I focused on it, moved towards it, the bigger it became. As the light became bigger, the darkness began to disappear and the voices became muffled. With the light came hope and with the hope came peace. When I have peace it is easier to find joy in life.

Accepting the gift of light, changes you. As you choose to focus on the light the power the darkness had over you dissipates and slowly your fear of the dark leaves you. You yourself become lighter, more peaceful, more joyful. Life changes. You know that you might not be able to make a difference, but your Lord and Savior can. Life is wonderful when you stand in the light and when you have hope.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit – Romans 15:13 (NIV)

No comments: