Wednesday, December 16, 2009

holidays – what’s important?

With less than 10 days till the big day I can’t help but wonder, what’s important?

As a family we’ve recently been hit a number of blows. Financially things are pretty tough. Thankfully my bills are paid, my heat is on, we have food in our cupboard so we are truly blessed in that sense. Why isn’t that enough? Why am I worrying about what gifts I’m going to have for the children? What I’m going to serve for Christmas day? How am I going to be able to send the care package I have to Australia? How am I going to send out my Christmas cards? My car broke down yesterday and the money I had put aside for my daughter’s gifts is now going to be used for a new battery. Not much of a present for her, but something we can’t do without. On top of all that I find out that the bank has charged me overdraft fees because a check I put in the bank didn’t clear until the following day. I might as well have just taken the $20 bills and burnt them.

Through all of this I’m worried, confused, angry, hurt just to name a couple of the feelings and emotions I’ve been feeling. Legitimate feelings & emotions you bet. Now here comes the hard part, choosing to believe that our ever faithful God will be there and will provide what we need. The hardest part is not the believing, not the faith, but the what we need part. Do I need to spend hundreds of dollars on presents that won’t be used, appreciated or even wanted? Do I need to have countless side dishes and choices of meats on Christmas day? No I don’t! What I do need is a filling meal, the love of my family, a warm house, & time with the Lord. What I need is a true appreciation of why we celebrate Christmas. What I need is cuddles from my son and my daughter, time to snuggle with my husband, laughter & giggles that create memories that can’t break or be lost.

I’m truly amazed at my daughter during this time. Since Grandpa’s death she no longer has the opportunity to earn money, yet the small amount she does have she wants to give to me. She choose to give up one of her Christmas gifts so we could go and buy a gift for a little girl off the Angel Tree. She tells me she doesn’t want any presents and that she knows we’re still going to have a good time on Christmas. Now this little 8 year old girl has got it together, far better than her mom. She has faith and she has her priorities all in the right order. What an example she is!

During this holiday season I’m learning that what’s important is taking the time to say Merry Christmas to the frazzled shop clerk, giving up the prized parking space to someone else, taking the time just is absorb the colored lights and the Christmas carols. What’s important can’t be bought in any store and can’t be found under any tree. What’s important is knowing that I have been given the gift of grace. It’s knowing that the birth of a baby changed the world and it changed me. What’s important is knowing that this life is temporary and that I can look forward to a time when I won’t have to worry about anything, where there won’t be any pain, won’t be any tears. All of this because a Father choose to give the greatest gift of all, the gift of His Son, the gift of salvation.



No comments: