Thursday, August 13, 2009

Consistency

Recently I’ve been struck by how hard it can be to be consistent.

I mean consistency, what does it really mean? The dictionary definition is:

  • steadfast adherence to the same principles, course, form, etc.
  • the condition of cohering or holding together and retaining form; solidity or firmness.
  • agreement, harmony, or compatibility, esp. correspondence or uniformity among the parts of a complex thing.
  • a degree of density, firmness, viscosity, etc.

So basically to be consistent we have to stand by what we say. When we tell our kids ‘don’t lie’ we can’t been seen to lie. That means when that person calls us on the phone that we don’t want to speak to, we don’t tell our spouse to tell them we’re not home. When we tell our kids its wrong to do drugs or to drink, we can’t been seen to go out and party.

Consistency makes right and wrong very clear. Consistency makes our life black and white – there is no gray.

How do we learn to be consistent? Well we’ve actually been given a guideline and map or manual as you will, we call it the Bible. God gave us very clear guidelines to live by. He made things easy for us. We’re the ones that make it difficult. We try to change the rules and make them for ourselves, unfortunately that doesn’t make them right.

Over the past few years it has become very evident to me that I need to live my life with consistency. I have to do what I say and say what I do. That’s not always easy, in fact sometimes its down right hard, but I’m trying. When I stumble, I pick myself up and I try again. I surround myself with people who love me enough to tell me when I’m being consistent. I keep pushing forward.

Two areas of my life that I struggle with consistency is with my kids and with being open about my faith. I’m at fault at telling my kids ‘no, you can’t’ and then giving in. I’m also at fault at grounding them and then letting them off because they finally did what was asked of them. Does this make me a bad parent? No, just means I need to work a little harder and think a little longer before speaking, before reacting, before giving my answers.

As a Christian do I always stick up for my faith, for my beliefs, for my God? I would love to stay ‘yes’, but unfortunately it’s a ‘no’ Why do I shy away from it, is it because of possible ridicule possibly fear. I’m not sure, but again I’m working on being able to have the right words to have in any situation. I want to be able to have the courage in whatever situation I’m in I’m going to be able to say ‘Hey I’m Christian & I’m proud of it’ I may not have the answers to their questions, but I’m sure they don’t have all the answer to my questions either.

As I walk through life shining my light for Jesus, may I be able to be proud in the fact that I’m being consistent. May I love the sinner and hate the sin. May I be the example I want my children be.

1 comment:

Brenda Mason Young said...

This is great stuff---I always enjoy your blogs, and should tell you more often. thanks for challenging me.