Thursday, March 5, 2009

Lights in the Fog

Compliments of Women's Devotional Bible
Have you ever been driving down a road at night when the fog rolled in so thick you couldn't see five feet in front of you? It can be pretty scary. However, if you have a car's taillights ahead of you to guide you, suddenly it is not so frightening.

That is the message of Titus 2. Older women can serve as guiding lights for those coming after them. For many women, juggling all our roles - student, employee, boss, wife, mother - can be overwhelming, like walking through life in a fog. But God never intended for us to figure things out on our own - to simply muddle through. Just as he gave Ruth to Naomi and Mary to Elizabeth, God gives us each other to help, encourage and provide one another with companionship, to share ideas and wisdom and humor. When you live in community with others, you can see how other women raise and nurture their children. You can note how persistence someone is in cultivating and preserving her marriage and how it is serving her well. You can watch as women make their way in the marketplace with dignity and integrity.
It may be that the 'older' woman isn't chronologically older at all. Perhaps God has gifted a younger woman with particular knowledge and wisdom that you might be in need of. We should be open to different generations reaching out to each other and bridging the years with love and laughter. We have more in common than we have differences.

In our day it's easy to become isolated and withdrawn. We don't often get together as women did in the times gone by for quilting bees and church socials and over-the-fence visits. You may long for a woman to mentor you and advise you regarding how to handle your many roles and responsibilities. If so, ask God to send your someone who is wise and supportive. and keep your eyes open for such a woman so you can befriend her. She may need you as much as you need her. Perhaps God is nudging you to become a mentor to a younger woman. Pray that God will lead you to her and that you will have the courage to be a light in the fog.


I read this passage a couple of weeks ago and it really struck a cord with me. As women we need to share our ups and downs with someone who'll understand. We need to surround ourselves with others that love us for who we are and who offer us wisdom and advice when needed along with laughter, tissues and of course chocolate.

I've been blessed this year with the opportunity of having a mentor, who I respect greatly and love dearly. She is an amazing woman who is teaching me not only about myself but that I'm not that different from many women. She's showing me that just because I burn the dinner, don't always wash the dishes and occasionally shout at my husband and kids I'm not a failure as a mother and wife. She is showing and teaching me that just because I don't bring home a wage every week I have value as a person.

Probably one of the biggest things I'm learning is that I have a lot to share with other women and so I've entered into the mentoring program at our church called Transformation. I truly recommend finding yourself someone to relate to, someone to learn from and also someone to share your life knowledge with as well. We teach best what we need to learn, which could be anything from cooking that pot roast, sewing a dress, art of forgiveness or the discipline of a daily walk with the Lord.

One thing I know for sure. If you are given the opportunity to either mentor or be mentored do because your life will never be the same again.

No comments: